Thursday, August 4, 2011

BP1_Welcome to my blog

Hello all!  My favorite thing in the world is to travel and explore so I thought why not treat this blog as a great adventure?  I'm looking forward to learning a lot throughout this educational journey, but even better is the opportunity to share my experiences in a creative and hopefully entertaining way.

But creativity wasn't always a part of my life.  In college I studied to be an air traffic controller.  It was a challenging program that taught me so many things, but it also made me realize I would rather spend my life problem solving, teaching, and entertaining; not controlling.  This realization led me down the path to becoming an instructional designer and I think it is the best possible career I could have fallen into.  The past few years have been an exhilarating series of trial and error as I try to do my best within a job I was never trained for.  Now here I am, starting this certificate program, and I cannot wait to bring everything I learn to my current job and beyond!


While right now I deal mostly with adult e-learning, I do have a dream of becoming a classroom teacher one day.  I look forward to the support and experience that my peers can offer me and I hope to offer the same!

5 comments:

  1. I'm happy to join you, Kimber! How did you transition from air traffic control to instructional design?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily, I started out as a systems engineer working for the Federal Aviation Administration, but I knew pretty much immediately that I wouldn't be happy unless I was able to be creative in some capacity. When a training position on my team opened up I expressed my interest and was given the position. The more I discover about this field, the more I love it! It really was a happy accident that I am so thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem! You are in instructional design too, right? How did you get into it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not yet! While I have done some work in instructional design, I would consider myself an adult educator more than anything. That being said, I would like to transition into a career in instructional design.

    ReplyDelete